Saturday, March 14, 2009

VMWare vMotion not working on ESX VDI (VMWare View)

After clean installs of my 2 ESX VDI systems (now VMWare View) I was unable to get a successful vMotion from one host to the next. I was also having issues getting HA properly configure although after a bit of moving it around, creating a new cluster with a new name and moving the host into that it finally configured. All that said, vMotion still did not work.

After a bit of googling, I found that removing the Virtual Center Agent from the ESX Host and re-installing it might solve the problem. It worked.

I first removed both of my Hosts from virtual center, then logged into the console of the hosts to find the agent version:
rpm -qa | grep -i vmware-vpxa

Then, to remove the agent (replacing the x's with version from above):
rpm -e VMware-vpxa-2.0.x.xxxxx

I repeated this for my second host and then rebooted them both. I had the luxuray of being able to shut off my virtual machines for this process. Once both ESX Hosts were back up I simply went through the process of adding them to Virtual Center, Creating a Cluster and adding them to the cluster.

3 comments:

  1. Matt, I just came across your blog via Google searches! Good stuff!

    I also work at a University and am looking into setting up Vmware View (VDI) for our labs. We are replacing 70 desktops this summer (~$1K each), so my hope was to use that money for backend infrastructure. Have you used VMware View at all? Once catch for us is it's an Ind Tech lab this summer which need to run CAD software, so I'm not sure if it will work well (or at all). I'm currently working with a vendor for NetApp SANS as well. If this all goes well, the next three years budget can also go into infrastructure. Since we are also using VMware Server to virtualize our servers, we could then also use the infrastructure to move to ESX. Any thoughts or suggestions?

    Keep up the blog! It looks like some good stuff and I will for sure be following now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, nice blog! I wanted to alert you to a new VDI solution that runs on VMWare ESX and ESXi and costs less than a PC to deploy - the company is Kaviza (http://www.kaviza.com), and the solution runs on commodity hardware with no expensive SAN's needed. Several universities are piloting the solution now, and I'd be interested in your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaviza looks cool, I haven't had a chance to test but it looks like it may have promise. We are still trying to figure out how to best utilize VMWare View (VDI) in a University Computer lab enviornment. At this point we thinking of setting up specific class software VM's and setting up a 24 hour lab virtually.

    ReplyDelete